The Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Green Building Rating System™ is a third-party internationally accepted green building certification program that recognizes best-in-class building strategies and practices. It provides universally understood and accepted tools, performance criteria, and guidelines for developing high-performance, sustainable buildings. It provides building owners and operators the tools they need to have an immediate and measurable impact on their buildings’ performance. LEED is helping both existing and new construction buildings around the world save energy, water, resources, and money, while having a positive impact on the health and well-being of the occupants.
Matalco Inc. fully recognizes and supports the benefits of these initiatives. By leveraging the relationship with our sister company Triple M Metal LP - one of the largest scrap metal processing companies in North America, Matalco ensures high scrap content using quality raw materials. As a result of our strong scrap supply chain and local sourcing strategy, Matalco is well positioned to maximize the materials requirements as they pertain to the globally recognized LEED program.
Recycled aluminum can add up to 3 LEED points:
- 1 point is awarded if material make-up is comprised of 7.5 % post-consumer materials.
- ‘Post-consumer’ scrap is defined as material that has exceeded its useful life cycle.
- ‘Post-industrial’ scrap (pre-consumer) can be used to achieve this criteria, but only given a 50% credit.
- 2 points are awarded if 15% post-consumer scrap content is achieved.
- 1 point is given for regional proximity of the material source, located within a 500 miles radius by road.
The majority of the raw materials consumed in Matalco’s production process are supplied from within a 500 mile (800 kilometer) radius of our plant. This includes all aluminum scrap generated from our customers’ processes and most of our scrap and primary aluminum purchases. For competitive and strategic reasons, Matalco does not divulge the names of the sources of our raw materials. By sourcing locally, it helps to minimize the environmental impact in the form of CO2 emissions.
View our LEED, Sustainability and the Environment: Matalco - Brampton Fact Sheet